Perry Hoekstra writes:
 > On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 15:02, Justin Haaheim wrote:
 > > I downloaded and installed the j2sdk (1.4.1).  I'm wondering what needs
 > > to be done next to get java fully set up.
 > >
 > > Either the java bin directory needs to be on the system path, or I need
 > > to set up links to java and javac in /usr/bin (or something).  Is either
 > > way better?  (and what file would I edit to have the java directory
 > > permanantly be part of the system path (for all users))
 > >
 > > Secondly, all the files (including java and javac) in the java/bin
 > > folder are shell scripts.  I would've thought they would be binaries.
 > > As it is, some makefiles I have can't access java because it would need
 > > to be ./java.  Maybe I'm missing something.  How have others of you
 > > configured the jsdk on your machine?

That's because running Java programs correctly typically requires a
very rich environment.  So you need those shell scripts to get a
reasonable CLASSPATH, etc., etc.

I can't honestly imagine that anything other than a totally busted
makefile would require ./java.  Are you sure it doesn't just expect to
find an unqualified "javac" or "java" in your load path (per the
earlier suggestion by Perry)?  If it really MUST have ./java, I'd
suggest just building a symbolic link or, better, setting a JAVAC
variable in the makefile with a pointer to the script.  (perhaps
./java is a busted way of avoiding the need to have configure go out
and look for the right java compiler?  Write once, run everywhere,
hah!  More like write once, run once, if you ask me...)

 > I prefer to set up the path to the JDK within my .bash_profile
 >
 > The reason is that it is not unusual to have to be running different
 > JDKs over time.  If all the JDKs are parked in opt and you set it in
 > your profile, it is a small change and a source to change JDKs.

I'd second this suggestion.  There seem to be many programs out there
that require old, or particular, JVMs.