> Shouldn't Linux cache the file in memory anyway? Serve the file of a
> ram drive?

dunno. sounds nice tho!

>>I need to plan hardware/bandwidth wise to make sure this process works
>>smoothly.  Should i be looking at a dedicate box to run this? Currently
>>its going on our main server which has other things like qmail, apache,
>>and jabber servers running on it.
>

> Have some kind of queing mechanism so all clients don't just start
> downloading at the same time?
> (I really don't see you having a problem with this as long as the pipe
> is there)

well, if  there are 100 units in a given group, the units dont have the
concept of acutall time, they just cound seconds (or some other time
unit) since boot, and that should result in a random distribution of the
download attempts over the period of the phone home interval.

When a unit phones home, it then counts until untill the phone home
interval passes again. So, if an update is posted at 4pm, most of the
units *should* phone home with an hour of that, they wont all call home
at the same time.  _that_ would be a bandwidth crunch!

thanks
duncan
--
Duncan Shannon