Try setting a HOME environmental variable value to point to a local
directory. I think that is usually the default for most applications. On
NT the system environmental variables are set in
control_panel/system/environment - I don't know where they ended up in
W2K.  Of course, once they read far enough in the manuals they'll be
able to stop you from doing that as well, but hopefully they won't make
it that far.

The other option is to individually change the 'start in' directory in
the properties for the icon/shortcut that is starting the process to
point to a local directory.

--rick