The probelm is that /sbin/reboot or /sbin/halt doesn't let kde do all of
its loggin out properly.  I saw this when I was working with kmix.  I
would set some things (that are supposed to save when it closes), and
after I reboot those things wouldn't have saved.  Then, when I tried
logging out first and then rebooting, the settings saved fine.  I think
that when /sbin/halt or reboot or shutdown is run, KDE goes through a
quick shutdown/logout that doesn't necessarily shut down everything
properly (as happens when you logout of kde).

hope this clears things up
justin