I think what you need to figure out is what command KDE uses to "save
current settings" I'm more familiar with gnome, but I know that it does
not always save your settings just because you log out.  Is KDE the same
way?  If so, there's your solution.  Just add that one to your log out
and shut down script.
Also, I'm not sure if I'm completely following your logic (by one
command, is one button also a valid way for you, or are you trying to
get it so that it works properly remotely?  If that's what you want,
then just ignore the rest of my babbling) But if one button works for
you, try out KDE 3.1.  That's what I've been using for the past week or
two and it seems to work quite well and when you click on its shutdown
button, it gives you that little popup like windows does...you know, the
"by shutdown, do you REALLY MEAN log out, shut the computer down, or
reboot?" one.

--
Justin Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org>

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."
- Rush "The Spirit of Radio" (1980)