This is what I pulled from the website:
==============
Also, I just remembered the session management. I don't think KDE's
session management will work if you run "shutdown now." Apps won't
restore their positions on the next startup and they won't ask if you
want to save your work before shutting down (possibly resulting in lost
work :-()

To get around this you might try a shell script that logs out of KDE
using DCOP and _then_ executes "shutdown now." This might cause annoying
screen flashing as KDM comes up and is immediately killed by the
shutdown script though. Also, I'm not sure how the shell script would be
able to tell when KDE was completely logged out. To work really well,
support for shutting down should be built into KDE. File a "wishlist"
bug report for KDE 3.0.

This is the problem I'm trying to work around.  When I just run
/sbin/shutdown, my apps don't save their positions and they don't save
their values and such because they haven't been shutdown properly.  This
piece talks about using DCOP.  How would I use DCOP to do this?

I still am trying to find out what command kde uses to shut down all its
programs correctly like it does when you hit the logout button.

thanks
justin