Wow, where was this message hiding?

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Amy Tanner wrote:

> I just took a look at lvm for the first time last night and I have a few
> questions:
>
> 1. How do you take care of activating volume groups at boot time?  I
> found several references online that say to add the following to
> rc.sysinit:
>
> vgscan # Search for volume groups
> vgchange -a y # Activate all volume groups

Works out-of-the-box in Debian.

> I was surprised the RedHat lvm package didn't contain an init script.

Not me.

> 2. Most of the docs I've seen talks about creating ext2 file systems.
> Is there any reason not to use ext3?

No.

> 3. Are there any general tips anyone can offer?

Use Debian.

Or else use the debian lvm init script.

#!/bin/bash
#
# lvm           This script handles the LVM startup/shutdown
#               so that LVMs are properly configured and available.
#

# try to load module in case that hasn't been done yet
modprobe lvm >/dev/null 2>&1
modprobe lvm-mod >/dev/null 2>&1

set -e

[ -e /proc/lvm ] || exit 0
[ -x /sbin/vgscan -a -x /sbin/vgchange ] || exit 0
[ -f /etc/default/lvm-common ] && . /etc/default/lvm-common

case "$1" in
        start|"")
                echo "Setting up LVM Volume Groups..."
                /sbin/vgscan
                /sbin/vgchange -a y
                # Set permissions from /etc/default/lvm
                for MODEVAR in ${!MODE_*}; do
                        eval MODE=\$$MODEVAR
                        DEV=${MODEVAR//_/\/}
                        DEV="/dev/${DEV#MODE\/}"
                        MOD=${MODE#* }
                        OWN=${MODE% *}
                        chmod $MOD $DEV
                        chown $OWN $DEV
                done
                ;;

        stop)
                echo "Shutting down LVM Volume Groups... "
                [ -e /etc/lvmtab ] && /sbin/vgchange -a n
                ;;

        restart|force-reload)
                $0 stop
                sleep 3
                $0 start
                ;;

        *)
                echo "Usage: lvm {start|stop|force-reload}" >&2
                exit 1
                ;;
esac