On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:57:46PM -0600, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> Say I've got an xterm window open on one workspace in, say, gnome.  Is
> there a way that I could launch an application with a directive that
> told it which workspace to open in?

some X apps honor the -display option. many do not. (tho they should all
be directable with the $DISPLAY env variable).
'-display :0.0' will make the window appear on screen 0 of display 0. if
you want it to appear on another screen of the same display; use
'-display :0.1' or the like.

this is for when you have multiple monitors, that do not share a common
desktop. (i.e. no xinerama; you can't drag windows between screens).
It may work for different workspaces; I haven't run a machine with different
workspaces for ages.

note that there is a difference between workspaces and virtual desktops.
workspaces are completely different areas; virtual desktops are just
'viewports' onto the same workspace. you can drag windows between virtual
desktops; not between workspaces. (maybe I've got the terminology wrong; but
you get the general idea).

'man X' for a good exposition on what X can do.

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises