tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org writes:

> Message: 15
> From: "Perry Hoekstra" <dutchman_mn at charter.net>

> Both are running 1152x864 with 16-bit color.  On the Linux
> side, I am running 3D hardware acceleration and the mga
> server.

There are two little things I'd do to get my bearings:

1:  Try 1024x768, and see if the problem still exists.  (I know, I know --
all that rebooting!)

2:  See if you can try/borrow another monitor.

3:  (bonus!)  Play with xvidtune, and see if you can make it go away.

The thing is, the monitor doesn't know squat about software, it only knows
what kind of video signal it sees, so if somehow your drivers are generating
funny video signals, that's what needs to be adjusted.  xvidtune is your
friend, and actually Windows lets you monkey with them as well, depending on
the driver for your card (under advanced settings, but it sounds like you
don't have the trouble there.)

Do you see any change in position on the screen, or width/height of the
video area between the two setups?

It sounds like what may be going on is the video timings, such as length of
your horizontal / vertical sweep (blanking intervals) are not really as nice
as you'd want.

Did you say what refresh rate you are using in both setups?  I'd check that
 -- perhaps you're using a lower refresh rate in X.

It sounds solvable.

 --
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous