I would reccomend RedHat 8.  I've found it to be quite stable and fully
featured, and installation is relatively painless.

An option you might consider is that Dell (and possibly other companies)
are now officially producing linux boxes.  They're not advertised on the
main page of their website, mind you, but I've heard that they will
preinstall a linux distro and ship the machine to you.

cheers
justin