On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Dave Alitz wrote:
> I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but telnet isn't a particularly secure
> service.  If your not on a private network that you trust completely, it's
> not a good idea.  It sends all communication in plain text, including the
> user login.  ssh is a more secure replacement for telnet that encrypts
> network communication.  openssh is included in RedHat.  It too runs under
> xinetd.

 Correct, telnet is an insecure service, and shouldn't be used for system
administration purposes except on private networks (and probably not even
then).  However, OpenSSH does *not* run under xinetd.  It's a standalone
daemon.  (IIRC, it can be -- or used to be able to -- run under
inetd/xinetd, but the default behavior is to run it standalone.)
 Furthermore, SSH is a great utility, with features far beyond simple
remote login.  It can forward TCP ports, forward X11 applications, and be
used to tunnel streams like rsync or even TCP/IP (as was mentioned in the
other thread), all encrypted.

     Jima
     OpenSSH Zealot