I like the idea of staggering the downloads somehow.  You may be
able to just use built in connection limits, so if more than 50
clients are downloading, the server will deny a new connection.
The client will just retry next hour.

So when you say phone home, you really mean phone up the internet
for the connection, right?  Your not setting up a bunch of modems?