I disagree.  I had a P90/32Mb/512Mb running RH7.3 for several years as my
gateway/firewall/webserver/mail server.  PHP was pretty pokey because of
the lack of memory, but everything else was pretty good.

Red Hat has several pre-defined packages (Server, workstation, etc.) that
plug a whole lot of packages into your machine that you don't really need.
 Try the custom configuration and include just the required packages.

You will probably want to keep X11 (aka XFree) and the desktop stuff off
as these chew up a lot of memory and disk.