Jeffrey Bolduan <jbolduan04 at moundsparkacademy.org> writes:

> I just got a PIII 450Mhz and I was wondering if this machine would be able
> to run Red Hat 8.0 as a server, with a GUI of course since I have no
> interest in learning all the commands for linux... Well back on topic.  I
> would like to run a Web Server off that box and maybe a e-mail server, would
> this be stable enough and would it run well.  Is there a different distro
> that I should look into.  Keep in mind that I do not know linux well, and
> have been chained to the windows box since I was a youngn' not that I'm not
> still young at the age of 17.

I'm pushing about 30gig a month out of a Pentium Pro 200 dual
processor.  It runs at a load average of 0 most of the time (not
counting the two SETI processes :-)).  It also handles mail for half a
dozen heavy mail-users, runs two moderately active mailing lists, and
once a month mails out a 15kb newsletter to about 60,000 recipients.

Your system should be more powerful than mine (and a single processor
is more flexible than multiple), so you should be able to easily do
everything I do.  Which sounds like a LOT more than you plan to do, at
least at first.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net