This is gonna sound really corny, but it's worked for me more times than I
can count.

1.  Take the drive out of the laptop.
2.  Put the drive in a Ziploc bag.
3.  Put the drive and the Ziploc bag in the freezer for an hour or two.
4.  After the drive is good and frozen, plug it back in and get your data off
the drive before it warms up.

I swear it works!