On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 07:00, Mike Partyka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Was wondering if anyone could answer a question that I have had for some time now.
>
> In redhat your run level appropriate start scripts
> (rc.0, rc.1,rc.3,etc) are located in /etc/rc.d/rc.x, where x is your run-level. On my fairly bare-bone redhat installation, there are only about 18 start scripts in rc.3, but i am sure there are other daemons/services running, than are listed in this directory. I have checked my rc.local but are there other places i can check and if necessary stop certain daemons/services i don't want/need running?
>
> One more ?, looking in my /etc/services, almost nothign is pounded out, but yet telnet for example doesn't answer, where ultimately are these services turned on/off?

First of all, there is a command-line front-end to the startup scripts
called 'chkconfig'. 'chkconfig --list' will show all configured services
on your machine, and their status as to whether they are to
automatically launch at boot or not, and also which runlevels they are
to run under. You can just enter 'chkconfig' to get a listing of
available options, but it is able to add new services, change the
current runlevel config of existing services, and also delete existing
services.

As to your telnet question, several services run under the blanket of
inetd (in RedHat 8 they have changed to xinetd, which is both more
powerful and flexible). xinetd is configured through its files in /etc,
with one master file (with just a few default rules) xinetd.conf, plus a
whole directory of additional specific files in /etc/xinetd.d/, one file
per service. If you want to find telnet, look in /etc/xinetd.d/ for a
file called telnet.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA