On 11 Mar 2003, Dave Sherman wrote:
> As to your telnet question, several services run under the blanket of
> inetd (in RedHat 8 they have changed to xinetd, which is both more
> powerful and flexible). xinetd is configured through its files in /etc,
> with one master file (with just a few default rules) xinetd.conf, plus a
> whole directory of additional specific files in /etc/xinetd.d/, one file
> per service. If you want to find telnet, look in /etc/xinetd.d/ for a
> file called telnet.

 Actually, RedHat switched to xinetd back in 7.0.  I can only hope that
was a typo. :)
 Also, chkconfig can be used to enable/disable xinetd services, too:

# chkconfig telnet on

 You don't need (get) to specify a runlevel, as it'll apply to any
runlevels xinetd is activated in.

     Jima

 P.S.: `ntsysv` is a nice feature, but it only applies the changes to the
current runlevel.  If you change runlevels, the services you shut off
before will pop back up.  Bad mojo.  Use `chkconfig` instead.