Thanks for the input, Jima.

I think the problem is that the CF card is sda* and the SmartMedia card is
sdb*.  I'm tryin' to use a SmartMedia card and I have no sdb* in /dev.

>  Hmm, what's on scsibus0?  This might be relevant.

scsibus0:
        0,3,0     3) 'MITSUMI ' 'CR-48X5TE       ' '1.2A' Removable CD-ROM

>  Another route might be to check dmesg for messages regarding the device.
> Try:
>
> # grep 'sd' /var/log/dmesg
>
>  Or:
>
> # dmesg | grep 'sd'

Both- grep 'sd' /var/log/dmesg  -and-  dmesg | grep 'sd' -provide no result.

# grep 'scsi' /var/log/dmesg
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda5 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi quiet vga=788
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

Thanks again for the input, fellas.  The battle continues.