On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:53:44AM -0500, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:
> we have customized the redhat kernel and built a customized Red Hat
> Linux Workstation with KDE&GNOME for the employees. Now, I am looking at
> testing the workstation. Can anyone suggest me how to go about
> Load-Testing of Linux System in whole, Load-Testing of Kernel, Load
> Testing of GUI(KDE&GNOME) ...I mean Performance testing to be
> specific....? Any useful links? Are there any standard procedures for
> testing or any tools to carry out this ? Any help is greatly
> appreciated...

I would suggest compiling some large packages (gcc or glibc) and doing
that in parallel, to put some stress on the scheduler, memory, disk.

You can also put few workstations and a server on a separate network
and do some big compilations over NFS/Samba.

I don't know what kind of load testing can be done for KDE&Gnome.
Maybe loading OpenOffice? I'm just half kidding - load open office and
create some macros that test various things and run them in a loop.

Cheers,
florin

--

"NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator."