I doubt that using an old card will fix it.  9600 baud serial
is the same on a old PC/8250 as it is on a new MB.  You might
try configuring for 2 stop bits instead of just 1, problem is
most likely flow control(RTS/CTS, or XON/XOFF).

If you really want, I've got an original PC ISA serial/printer board
with a 16450(good and slow).  The printer port TTL gates even have a
a jumper I added to allow input.

You should see the old one I kludged up to turn into a MIDI port,
added a big fat 2Mhz crystal and some opto isolators, those were
the good ol days.