when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003),
 David Blevins was madly tapping out:
> Another question, how would I send mail through visi's authenticated smtp
> server?

to send mail with mutt you will need an mta, ala sendmail, postfix or
gasp - qmail.

you wouldn't need to use the authenticated smtp unless you were trying
to send mail from off the visi network. if you're coming from the visi
network you can just point to the smtp server as your relayhost and
you're done.  they handle the dirty business of handling delivery.

if you're coming from somewhere off the visi network you use your MTA
in smtp client mode (pointed at the normal relay host) and it should
take care of the rest.  i'm not certain what auth schemes visi uses
but you'll want to make that line up with what they're doing.

fwiw - configuration of this under postfix is pretty straightforward
and there is some good documentation for handling this.  i use it on
our corporate network with considerable success and the pain involved
was minimal.  since i don't get paid to beat myself with mtas (or
their associated manuals) anymore i've opted to leave the (send|q)mail
masochism for folks with more time on their hands.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC