On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 at 11:21 -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Or just plug it into someone else's Mac, it should auto update.
>
> > From: David Phillips [mailto:david at acz.org]
> >
> > Take it into the Apple Store and update it using one of the Macs.

Well, both of you are technically wrong, since I asked about using Linux,
not OSX. But having no Mac-using friends (at least, none in the Cities), I
went to Southdale and the Apple store there. I asked a clerk if I could
update my iPod, and she said, sure, go ahead, do anything.

So I plug in my iPod into one of the machines and it helpfully synchronizes
its music collection to my iPod, deleting the 11GB of music I had on it...!

It turned out that to run the updater you needed the root password; one of
the clerks did that for me. It was nice to talk to official computer
support people who didn't freak out when you mention you use Linux...

Dan

--
---          DA1A E0F0 7E07 27C3 7539  F2F4 5AF1 2C82 A17E D584
-----                          Dan Drake <drake at lemongecko.org>