Partition magic....best tool ive found for windows environments

Dan Lansing

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Crumley [mailto:crumley at belka.space.umn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:57 PM
To: TCLUG list
Subject: [TCLUG] Defragmenting under Windows XP

So I finally got my new laptop ( a Thinkpad R40), and I am trying
to install Debian dual boot along with Windows XP.  At the moment
I am having a problem with defragmenting and resizing the XP ntfs
partition.  The partition is relatively empty ( ~10 % usage), but
there is a file or cluster of files in the middle of the
partition that XP's defrag tool doesn't move.  According to the
defragger these files are normal, contiguous (blue) files not
unmovable (green) files, but I can't figure out how to move them.
Due to these files ntsfresize will only let me free up about half
of this partition, when I would like to free up more.

At first I thought these files might be mft reserved space, but I
tried filling the disk with empty files, and these files in the
middle did not disappear like mft reserved space is supposed to.

Also, I don't have installation media for XP, just a recovery
partition, so I can't just re-install XP.

Any ideas?  Does anyone know any tools that would move these
files?