David Blevins wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:44:43PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
>

>>Anyone heard of a way to encrypt every sent message at the MTA level with a
>>specific key?
>>
>>I don't mean smtp with tls, I mean literally pgp encrypting and signing each
>>message.
>>

>I've seen a lot of good responses to this thread, but one thing is clear;
>some people are giving suggestions for encrypting the message and some for
>signing the message.  What is it you are trying to achieve, hiding the
>data or protecting the data from being tampered with?
>
>You wouldn't need to encrypt *and* sing a message.

Sure you would.

>Actually encrypting messages with pgp would prevent them from being read
>but would be a total pain as you would need their public key first (i
>don't think pgp does symmetric encryption).

It has several options for symetric encryption. When it sends a message
using public key encryption it generates a random message key, uses that
random key to encrypt the message using a symmetric algorithm and then
attaches the message key encrypted with the public key. There is a
command line option to just use one of the symmetric algorithms using a
user specified key.