Well, I burned a CD from the image I just created and popped it into
another computer and it's contents are exactly the same as the first CD I
burned.  Same files, same sizes, text files say the same thing, executable
files still run...am I missing anything?
And as for the md5sums, I can't get an md5sum directly from the original
CD.  As far as I can tell, I should just be able to run
# md5sum /dev/hdd
right?  That gives me more i/o errors.
as does
# diff /dev/hdd filename.iso
I can get an md5sum for the .iso just fine
And interestingly enough, I found mention, through my searching on google,
of piping dd if=device to md5sum, and that once again gave me an i/o
error, but gave me an md5sum which matched my image's md5sum exactly.
(which tells me what?  dd is either working properly but giving me some
erroneous error message, or it's erroring out exactly the same way every
time?)
I'm confused...

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Jay Kline wrote:

> Not sure what is causing your errors, but are you *sure* the image is the same
> as the CD? Just because you can mount it dosnt mean its complete or correct.
> Try using md5sum to compare.

Justin Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org>

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."
- Rush "The Spirit of Radio" (1980)