On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:48:15 -0700
mcolivier at earthlink.net wrote:

> Hello. I'd like to thank Shawn F. @ Real-Time for helping get the burn
> capability on by CD RW under Linux (the command "cdrecord -scanbus"
> got my up and running), and lots of folks re: the zip drive issue. I
> adlibbed some instructions you folks gave me earlier with something I
> found at the SuSE website. SuSE kernels from versions 2.2.0 and up
> don't use "ppa" they use "parport". So I did the following: (it wasn't
> intentional or pretty, but I finally got it to work).

Thanks, glad to hear that you got things working.  As for helping, I went through it a few days prior with help from fellow LUG'ers, so thanks should really go to them.  However, I'm glad to pass on something in the way of knowledge I have.  That's what the LUG is here for really IMO.

> STEP 1
> modprobe imm
> modprobe parport (instead of modprobe ppa)
> modprobe vfat

Just out of curiosity, I'm not familiar with parport.  Is that something that is required in addition to the imm?  I haven't played with a direct connect printer on Linux in ages.  Probably not since SuSe 6.x (my second distro load) I'd say.  Shortly after that, I bought a JetDirect box for the home network.

I'm a Slackware user, and have been since release 7.x, so my SuSe familiarization is has waned quite a bit.

Again, glad to hear you got things working.  Thanks for putting the steps of what you had to do to get it working, I'm sure it will help others in the future.

--
Shawn

The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.