I'm sure they've done periodic snapshots of the code base. Most software
operations archive the code base for each release. Most commercial unix
vendors also ship blocks of source code for various drivers, kernel
modules, etc. that would let you do a certain amount of validation that
the archive was an accurate representation of the code at the time. The
'origin' is a bit trickier, and it sounds like the code probably had to
be written after the whole U of Ca vs AT&T case in the early '90's.

The fact that SCO has been unwilling to publically produce the code
leads me to suspect that (a) they aren't real confident in their case
and (b) their real target is Linux, not IBM. I think their fear is that
if they produce supposedly infringing code that it will either be shown
not to infringe, or will quickly be replaced in the Linux code base so
Linux won't be effected in the long-term.

--rick