Mike Hicks wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 09:09, Rodney wrote:
>

>>My new Maxtor master hd is dying.  A new one is coming in the mail and
>>"oh joy!" I get to 1) save data to the slave drive  2)ground myself and
>>swap hd  3)format hd and install Win98 and all drivers and software and
>>updates (THAT is a PAIN in the ass!).  The problem is that when I do
>>that I'll lose LILO and therefore access to the slave drive/Linux.
>>

>Are you getting a replacement that is the same make/model?  If so, the
>drive should be the same size, so you can do the "Ghetto Ghost" trick of
>something like
>
>  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=64k
>
>assuming that you have the old drive as master, and the new one as
>slave..
>
>This *should* also work if the new drive is bigger (but you'd only want
>to do this if there is only a small difference in size -- otherwise you
>could be wasting valuable space)

I didn't want to monkey around with the hd cable - detaching the slave
and attaching the new to the slave plug and copying... who knows what
since the bad hd might have had 'rotten' data.  Then re-attaching the
hds to their right places.... sounded like skirting too close to
disaster for me.  XOSLDOS was another suggestion but when I got to the
part in the doc about creating partitions I didn't much care for going
that route w/o having done it before.
I decided to install Win98 and then follow the suggestion of using
LOADLIN to re-install LILO.  Things went well and somewhere along the
way someone suggested that I should just put Mandrake disk 1 in and go
in rescue mode.  I did and it re-installed LILO.  That was 10 minutes
ago and here I am in Linux again.
Someone in MandrakeExpert helped me with getting the cd to work.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.