On Tuesday 10 June 2003 14:54, tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org wrote:
> From: James Spinti <jspinti at dartdist.com>
> To: TCLUG <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:14:15 -0500
> Subject: [TCLUG] SCO code in Linux
>
> Just saw this one:
>
> http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=39258
>
> Any informed comments?

For my two cents worth, based partially on sheer speculation, I would say that
I suspect IBM mainframes are being used in sensitive business and governement
areas, and attempting to bankrupt IBM and 1499 other major firms based on
copyright infringement in this manner may backfire in this case. After all,
in a perfect world, from their perspective, they would either get their money
or get Linux taken off many, many machines. This isn't a perfect world
anymore, they had the code, they let it get away from them, they didn't put
up a fuss for HOW MANY YEARS? and now that Linux is firmly embedded into the
electronic infrastructure that runs major segments of government and
business, they want it all to JUST STOP, just like that?

I don't think so. This isn't even in the same league as what M$ has been doing
for a generation now. I remember Amazon.com one some suit against Barnes and
Nobles (I think) about doing one click to get from place to place in a web
site vs. two clicks, but I also remember a guy who filed a patent on
something similar prior to Amazon.com's existence, concerning something even
more basic, and he lost his suit. I have no idea if it was really because he
didn't hire the right lawyers, but I do remember the judges saying that the
patent was on something so basic that it could not hold up in today's
reality.

I am not a lawyer, but if I was, I would do research on both these cases,
because I sincerly believe attacking Linux in this way, at this time, by
these entities (SCO and Microsoft) is an attack on the public good.

Marc