On Tuesday 10 June 2003 02:45 pm, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)
wrote:
> What happens if it is proved that code from SCO found way into linux?
> What are the results? Will there be
> any serious threat to the future of linux? I am curious to know...

Assuming it is true (and that it did not come from Caldera/SCO itself),
which is EXTREMELY doubtful:

Worst case scenario -- SCO sues everybody who runs Linux, if they can find
enough lawyers and courtrooms :) Or they require the distros to pay a
royalty fee for every download/purchase

Likely scenario:  they rewrite the sections of the kernel in question.

I don't see any of the major players -- IBM, RH, Suse, Mandrake, Oracle
(and to a lesser extent HP, Dell) -- backing down from their
pushing/offering of Linux.  The most recent e-week had a full ad on the
back cover for Oracle on Linux and the entire middle double page of the
latest ComputerWorld and Infoworld both had a Linux ad for IBM   That
tells me they aren't too worried.
--
Thanks,

James Spinti