I'm not familiar with Filemaker Pro, but Access was just a dumbed-down
interface into a (shoddy) "real" database back-end.

MySQL is what a "real" SQL database looks like.  Same with Oracle.  SQL is
a programming language, so all of your interaction with the database is
through a command line, because that's how you talk to a database. I think
even MS SQL is the same way - there is a GUI front end, but it basically
pops up a window for you to type SQL commands to.

That said, there are a number of tools that will let you manage the
database itself (not the data), like creating tables, setting permissions,
etc.  Then I've seem programs that will automatically build web-based CGI
interfaces to manipulate the data based on the table structures.  So the
MySQL developers left it up to the end-user's to build their own
front-ends, based on what they wanted.  Some people like the web-interface
because it's cross platform.  Some people want a command-line tool so they
can include it in scripts.  Some people want a Gnome or Motif or Tcl or
KDE or whathaveyou interface.  But they didn't want to constrain you to
just the desktop option.

This is probably more complicated than what you did with Filemaker, but
keep in mind that SQL engines like MySQL and Oracle were meant to handle
TERABYTES of data.

FYI - The Mysql documentation page has a Filemaker Pro to MySQL migration
whitepaper you might want to look at.

> Now with that said lets take one thing at a time here, Database I will
> explain the way I built mine First..Which is using a GUI from
> filemakerPro. all I had to do was make my page layouts and then match
> everything up and send it to were ever I wanted by linking them very
> easy When I look at mysql there is alot of command line stuff or
> should I say scripting..And maybe I just dont no what a real database
> is...Can anyone help with this? or point me in the way I should be
> going?

> Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 free of charge.  Download Now!
> http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications