Mike Hicks wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 09:09, Rodney wrote:
>

>>My new Maxtor master hd is dying.  A new one is coming in the mail and
>>"oh joy!" I get to 1) save data to the slave drive  2)ground myself and
>>swap hd  3)format hd and install Win98 and all drivers and software and
>>updates (THAT is a PAIN in the ass!).  The problem is that when I do
>>that I'll lose LILO and therefore access to the slave drive/Linux.
>>

>Are you getting a replacement that is the same make/model?  If so, the
>drive should be the same size, so you can do the "Ghetto Ghost" trick of
>something like
>
>  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=64k
>
>assuming that you have the old drive as master, and the new one as
>slave..
>
>This *should* also work if the new drive is bigger (but you'd only want
>to do this if there is only a small difference in size -- otherwise you
>could be wasting valuable space)

That brings up another question I've been wondering about... Maxtor is
sending me a replacement drive because the one I bought is defective
(Windows was marking bad sectors everytime I'd boot up and at this point
I can't even get to Win98).   There's software that comes with the drive
that says that it will copy all of one hd to another but I'm wondering
if I should do that.
Will it copy corrupted files?  Will it copy data on from bad sectors in
such a way that they will show up on the new hd as bad?  I suppose I
should try it and see what happens.  I can always low-level format it -
that only takes about 16 hours on this 60 gig hd.