On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:23:43 -0500
Marc Olivier <mcolivier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have SuSE 8.1 on an AMD machine. I am trying to get Zip drive
> initialized and working under Linux. I downloaded some drivers from
> Iomega, and got some info from members here, but here's the thing.
>
> When I type "modprobe imm" nothing unusual happens.
> When I type "modprobe vfat" nothing unusual happens.
> In between these lines, I type "modprobe ppa" and I get this error
> message:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: No
> such device Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
> parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

imm is what you want for the Zip drive.  Don't use ppa, as that is for the very ancient drives and will give you the errors you are seeing.

BTW, you shouldn't have to load any drivers from Iomega.  All you need is what's already build into the kernel and you install the DOS utilities (IIRC).

After you've done the modprobe imm, you should be set and ready to go.  Make a directory for it such as /zipdrive or /mnt/zip and mount it up with an entry in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda4	/zipdrive	vfat	noauto,user,rw	0 0

*Note: You will get errors on the modprobe imm if you don't have the drive connected when run.

--
Shawn

The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.