Shawn wrote:
> I'm working on trying to finish configuring my Debian system, but am unsure of which packages I need to install for the following:
>
> ntp -
> 	I installed ntp-simple and ntp-doc, but ntpq didn't load.  Is there something else I need to install?  Do I need ntpdate?

/usr/bin/ntpq is part of the 'ntp' pkg.  A good tool I use for finding
out what's available or what is part of what package is:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages
you can search my pkg name, description or filename.  very handy.

> X-windows
> 	No idea at all on this.  Chewie showed me something on how to do a test of packages or hardware for X, but I don't recall it.  I didn't have the normal keyboard/mouse/monitor that I use at the installfest.  If I were to bring them I'd have to also unplug all my systems from the KVM switch.

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86

this should launch you into a curses based program that asks you a bunch
of questions and will generate a /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file for you,
kinda like the old xf86config under slackware.

> How do I see what packages are installed on my system?

dpkg -l			# lists pkgs installed
dpkg -p <pkgname>	# lists available packages
dpkg -S /path/to/file	# see what pkg contains '/path/to/file'

you could also use dselect (curses based).  I'm sure there are other
ways too.  I'm pretty new to Debian...but an old slack user.
--
scot