On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, K B wrote:
> I reinstalled XP, and am now trying to get GRUB reinstalled so I get
> Linux support without using this floppy.
>
> Previously, I was told to do:
> grub-install /dev/hda
> to reinstall grub.  However, I get:
> Error 27: Unrecognized command
> I hit 'Tab' for auto-completion, and 'install' is listed as an option.  So, I type:
> install /dev/hda
> response:
> Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
>
> What do I need to do to recover my Linux install?  (Can't do an
> 'upgrade' unless it won't update the stuff that I've already
> installed/updated/patched, otherwise I'd just do that)

Keith,

The grub-install directions work if you're booted into Linux already - if
you've got a working boot disk, then you can drop to a shell prompt, log
in as root, and run the command - it should take care of you.

If you'd like to install it from the grub prompt, you can run:

root (hd0,0)
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/boot/grub (hd0)

..and it should take care of'ya.