Austad, Jay writes:
> Specifically, I'm looking for reports which tout apache as being a
> better solution than IIS, both for security and performance reasons.

This is precisely why I asked for more information.  Both IIS and Apache are
both insecure.  However, as I recall, there haven't been any non-SSL related
vulnerabilities in Apache 1.3 for a long time.  By the same token, properly
secured (according to Microsoft's guidelines) IIS servers were not
vulnerable to the recent worms.

Performance is a nebulous and doesn't mean anything details.  Are you
serving static content?  Relatively static content (SSI, header/footers)?
Dynamic content using CGI?  FastCGI?  ISAPI?  Modules?  You can't make a
blanket statement such as ``IIS is faster than Apache'' or the opposite and
expect it to be meaningful.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/