On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Amy Tanner wrote:
> I didn't get any response from debian-user.  Anyone here have any
> ideas? Thanks.

Try the grub mailing list; I've seen this error on many different
distributions.

> I'm trying to install grub on a Compaq DL360 G1 with 2 9GB drives
> doing RAID 0.  I get this error:
>
> # grub-install --recheck /dev/ida/c0d0
> Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
> /dev/ida/c0d0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
>
> I'm running grub 0.91-2.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Try editing your /boot/grub/device.map by hand, and adding:

(hd0)	/dev/ida/c0d0

..and then install Grub by hand:

grub (wait until you get to the prompt)
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/boot/grub (hd0)