At a root prompt, do a telinit 3, this will take init down to level
3 which is a text console login.

Install your new driver and then enter X at the prompt to test out the
server.

Kill the X-server with a [ctrl][alt][backspace], and if the X server
looked like it was working do a telinit 5 to get back your graphical
login.