>>>rotbau wrote:
>>>
>>> Alright, I pulled a bone headed move.  I upgraded my kernel and
>>> somehow
>>> munged the lilo command to update the MBR.

>> Tom's root boot is your friend.  http://www.toms.net/rb/download.html
>>
>> ----
>> The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>

>Note: to avoid this trouble in the future, ditch lilo in favor of grub.
>Grub is cool. Grub will get you chicks. Tons of em.

Thanks for the link to Tom's root boot and the advice on Grub.  I am going
to experiment with Tom's for future snafu's, as far as a boot loader that
can rescue me from doing this again -- AND get me chicks, well I think
that's a gimme.  I don't know if GRUB runs on 7.3, but it is time to upgrade
anyway.

In the mean time I was lazy and went and booted to a later version of Linux
rescue (RH 8.0).  I created a simlink to the boot directory on my old system
and then ran lilo to fix the problem.  Intially I had problems booting into
my system until I removed the mount statement for my secondary IDE drive
from fstab.

If you weren't following along earlier, my boot problem came from writing a
boot record onto my IDE drive which I used for storage instead of my SCSI
drive which actually contains the OS after upgrading the kernel.  Opps.  Now
I just need to figure a way to remove that boot sig from the IDE -
preferably w/o reformating it.  I will post that question in a new thread.

thanks for the help.

rotbau