Alright, I pulled a bone headed move.  I upgraded my kernel and somehow
munged the lilo command to update the MBR.  In retrospec I think I know what
might have happened, but that is of little help now.  The system has a SCSI
drive for the OS and then an IDE drive for storage.  I think the MBR might
have been written to the IDE drive, not the SCSI.  Anyway here is the
background:

System:  Redhat 7.1 on a Integraph dual PII 300; Symbios logic SCSI
controller (sym53c8xx driver); segate 4 GB SCSI drive, western digital 10 GB
IDE drive.  Using LILO to boot.  Root partition is on /dev/sda6.

Symptoms:
On reboot - system gets to the L in LILO and stops.  Using a boot disk fails
with a Kernel Panic - init failed - try passing init= during boot.  Rescue
disk fails with an unspecified error at a blue screen.  I think the boot
disk I am using is for an older system that was IDE based.  Maybe if I can
add the sym53c8xx driver to the floppy and intialize it during boot that
might help.

What I have tried so far:
I have tried passing various settings on to the boot disk such as the
location of root=/dev/sda6 and also various init commands such as
init=/sbin/init or init=/bin/bash but always the same kernel panic.  I
believe that the major problem with the boot disk is that I am not loading
the SCSI driver so there is no way linux can see the sda device.  I also
have tried rescue mode but it fails to fully intialize and I don't know what
is happening there.

Any tips on how to get past this?  I have googled for solutions but none of
the suggestions to data have help me.  I have considered putting in another
drive and installing linux in parallel and then trying to mount the old disk
and fix the problem, but anything I can try before that would be great.
Thanks.

regards,
rotbau