John J. Trammell wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:06:02PM -0500, Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
>
>>John J. Trammell wrote:
>>
>>>Nothing looks obviously wrong to me.  What sort of network card is it?
>>
>>admtek, it uses the tulip driver on linux.
>>

> A little googling turns up this thread:
>
>  http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-tulip/2003-Mar/0005.html
>
> where Donald Becker says, "The modified Tulip driver shipped with most
> 2.4 kernels is known to be broken with most ADMtek chips".  Yikes!

"Broken" is not very descriptive. I have been using these card
sucessfully so the driver can't be "too broken".

> For what it's worth, Materials Processing is selling eepro100 cards for
> $2.50 a pop...

Amazing. I just bought these cards about a year ago for $4 each.

>>I talked to Jima at the beer meeting, he suspects the cable. It's
>>certainly possible but I'd like to narrow it down a bit before jumping
>>to this conclusion. I suppose I could replace the crossover with a hub
>>but I don't know what config changes I would have to make.
>

> Jima may just be right.  You shouldn't need to change your config at all
> if you replace your crossover with a hub.

Now for the big news. I crawled under my desk to try out the hub and
noticed that my link lights are out as well as the other light that's on
there, maybe for power? WTF?

I'll boot and see if it wakes up.
--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff