What does mii-tool (or mii-diag) say on the linux box? Do
both systems think they're linked at the same speed and duplex.

Also, are they plugged into the same outlet? Check for ground loops.
(Lick your fingers, grab the back of both cases at the same time, if
it shocks you, fix the ground loop =)

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 03:31:49PM -0500, Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
> This is my first message on this list, so please be gentle :-)
>
> I have two computers connected by a crossover cable and identical NICs.
> One is running Mandrake 9.1 and the other is running W2k. I have had
> them communicating perfectly for quite a while. I was able to use Samba
> (so cool!) & VNC (to avoid buying a KVM switch) & of course ping. But
> after shutting the machines down before a lightning storm a few weeks
> ago, I can't get them to talk.

[snip]