I set up Sphinx awhile back.  It was a big pain in the ass.

Unfortunately, it was so long ago I don't remember a whole lot of the
process.  There are some sample scripts that come with it that you can
modify and run in the background to have do certain things, I believe they
were written in perl.  Another thing you should not do...  On their site
they have a thing where you can upload a file filled with words, and it
would come up with a lexical modeling file for you.  DO NOT upload
/usr/dict/words.  :)  It takes their server down, oops.