On Thursday 24 July 2003 2:44 pm, Duncan Shannon wrote:
> > Moral of the story:
> >   MS Proxy is an evil, evil program that I've only encountered once in
> > the corporate environment, it follows no standards, and there is no
> > interoperability documentation. Don't bother.
>
> hmmm.  do you know if you can modify MS Proxy to allow certain IP's
> thru it? How does one get a dumb little box (anything that doenst have
> Proxy Client on it) thru a MS proxy?
>
> im certainly not excited about accounting for it, however its bound to
> impact sales if we cant handle it. :(
>
> thanks
>
> duncan

My experience with MS Proxy is dated but I concur with the sentiment that it
is evil, or at least not the best choice. When I was in Duluth we ran MS
Proxy for about a year and we just kept having problems with connections and
with throughput. When MS support was asked why they said we should be running
proxy on a seperate box. I seem to remember being able to get through from
some Linux boxes we had but I may be having faulty selective memory.

On your other question about usage, I haven't worked in a large organization
for a while. When I was working for a small business consultancy many of our
clients ran hardware firewalls (sonicwall, cisco based stuff, etc.) without
sepreate proxies. We had at least one place using Winproxy on NT. Use this as
you see fit.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com