On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Duncan Shannon wrote:
> 1. copy some files nightly to a central server (that is out of the
> datacenter, but in the same building :) ) and burn them to cd every now
> and then. Its about 70 gigs of data right now.

I like the approach of copy everything to one machine, and then run
nightly tape backups of that machines.

Gotcha's with this strategy:

- If anything on that box dies, you don't have backups anymore
- If a rsync process fails for whatever reason, the data from that box
  doesn't get backed up
- Some more I can't think of right now.  :)

For "best of both worlds", you could put a tape drive in each box for
backups, and also have a central server that replicates the data and
writes it to a larger tape drive.