On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Amy Tanner wrote:
> It turns out dhcp just wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why.
> I installed pump and that grabbed a dhcp address fine.  Wierd - it was
> working fine with the other kernel.

Recent versions of RedHat 9 don't detect a link on the NIC under VMWare,
and refuse to ifup the interface since they don't see a link. Not sure
what distro you're running, and I doubt it's that since you said it works
with the other kernel, but it may have something to do it.. (with rh9, a
manual dhclient eth0 brings it up just fine.)

> > First thing I usually do when setting up a new VMWare Linux guest is
> > delete the SCSI drive they automatically set up and change it to IDE. Why
> > they do SCSI, I have no idea..
>
> How do you do that?  I thought they picked the drivers due to stability.

Hmm, that's lame - in VMWare 3, you just went in and removed the SCSI
device and added a new IDE device.. in VMWare 4, doesn't look like it
gives you the option! So, disregard that if you're a VMWare 4 user, I
guess..