On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:47:28AM -0500, Jima wrote:
>  This is a good point to bring up.  With the default configuration of
> RedHat (and probably most distros), if you log in as root or use `su -`,
> it'll load root's environment, including putting /sbin & /usr/sbin in the
> $PATH.  If you use `sudo` or just `su`, though, it won't load the
> environment, and programs in /sbin and /usr/sbin won't run without the
> full path (i.e., /usr/sbin/program).  This was news to a few people at the
> installfest, and to this day catches me on occasion.

Well, this is not true for Debian at least. With Debian, sudo and
su seem to load the root's path settings.

14(plasma) jcrumley% which fdisk
fdisk: Command not found.
15(plasma) jcrumley% sudo fdisk

Usage: fdisk [-l] [-b SSZ] [-u] device
E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda  (for the first IDE disk)
  or: fdisk /dev/sdc  (for the third SCSI disk)
  or: fdisk /dev/eda  (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
  or: fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0  or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0  (for RAID devices)
16(plasma) jcrumley% sudo which fdisk
/sbin/fdisk