On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 15:33, Mark Courtney wrote:
> If you're using a digital signal, like DirecTV, you'll also have to consider
> that a WinTV card isn't gonna be able to decode the digital stations.  That
> is unless you specifically have a digital tuner card.
>
> I'm pretty sure MythTV is designed for use with an analog signal and a
> regular WinTV card.  If you're going to use a digital TV signal like digital
> cable, etc., I'd recommend checking out this link:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/

Yeah, there's some discussion of that stuff in the mailing list archives
on that site, although the main pages there appear to be geared more
toward the DVB receivers used in Europe (though some DVB stuff does hit
American shores).  In the U.S., terrestrial digital TV receivers are
generally set up for receiving ATSC signals transmitted with 8VSB
modulation.  The digital coding schemes used in satellite and cable
systems, however, appear to vary from provider to provider (QAM64 and
QAM128 are popular choices).  Fortunately, it looks like almost everyone
has agreed on using MPEG2 system streams for the actual video and audio
data.

(Sidenote: Just because I'm throwing out these abbreviations doesn't
mean I understand any of them.  It's sufficient to just know that one is
generally not compatible with another, though I guess I saw some hinting
that European DVB cards might work with U.S. cable and satellite stuff.
Maybe.)

In theory, it wouldn't be too difficult to get MythTV or other PVR
software to handle digital TV streams, since it can already handle the
MPEG2 stream coming off of the WinTV PVR-250 and -350 (among others).
Of course, having enough CPU power to decode the MPEG2 stream would be a
challenge.  Also, one big question is the availability of
Linux-compatible hardware that will merely pass the over-the-air (or
over-the-wire) stream directly to the system without unnecessary
transcoding.

Someday, when processors are running in the tens of gigahertz, dedicated
hardware won't be needed because the GNU Radio project will then be able
to decode the various modulation schemes in realtime.  But, that's quite
a while off..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   We don't live in America.