On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, K B wrote:

> We got my system up and working.  We had to disable (okay, unplug) the
> Promise ATA controller to get RH installed, and the nForce2 patches
> working.  Then, at the end, I plugged the controller back in.  How do I
> mount up my windows partitions (both NTFS and FAT32) in Linux?  (I've
> done it before, on a Mandrake install- they were under /mnt/windows/) Is
> there something I need to enable for this to work, or what?

First make a /mnt/windows directory
make a subdir for each partition

mount them manually:

mount /dev/hdx?? /mnt/windows/win9x -t vfat
mount /dev/hdx?? /mnt/windows/winxp -t ntfs

And/or add them to fstab:

/dev/hdx??	/mnt/windows/win9x	vfat	defaults	0 0
/dev/hdx??	/mnt/windows/winxp	ntfs	defaults	0 0

Then they'll mount on bootup.

> Also, on a seperate matter, XP Pro will no longer boot (I went to start
> it, then powered it off- now it goes to the 'sorry, but your system
> didn't boot right last time' menu and when I select one, it locks
> up) 98SE will, but it will not read my NTFS partitions.  Anybody know a
> trick to mount NTFS under 98SE?

You can grab the freebie (read only) version of NTFSDos at
sysinternals.com.

> If I were to reinstall XP Pro, I know it'd clobber my MBR.

Yup.

> How could I recover that, to the way it is now, without having to
> reinstall? (RH GRUB bootloader)

Well, I assume you have the XP CD handy.  You can boot up into recovery
console and use the boot sector recovery tools, but again I think you'll
fry your boot sector.

What I would do is make a boot floppy (mkbootdisk I think) of your Redhat
system, then try the recovery console trick to get your XP boot sector
back.  Then boot up RH with the floppy and restore GRUB (see the other
thread I started on how to do that) and you should be OK.

> If I go to the Hardware Browser tool, under "Hard Drives" I see all
> four drives, with their respective partitions.  But, if I go to "Info
> Center" and select "Partitions" I only see my RH, CDROM and floppy
> drives and partitions.  What do I need to do in order to get my Windows
> paritions mounted?  (I can successfully boot to Windows, so the
> partitions are seen on their own)

I'm not exactly sure why this is a problem, if you use the steps I
mentioned above you should be able to mount them with no problem.

-Brian