-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>
To: TCLUG <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Date: 19 Jul 2003 19:58:47 -0500
Subject: [TCLUG] Installfest Roundup

Some things came up during the Installfest that I thought deserved
comment:

1.  It was suggested that for future Installfests, it should be advised
that people bring Ethernet switches rather than just hubs.  I think Scot
Jenkins was having trouble helping someone because of a lot of
collisions on the network were slowing down his downloads (though it
occurs to me that maybe a bad cable or card was the real culprit..)

At any rate, there have been similar problems in the past, so it would
be advisable to get good hardware whenever possible, rather than using
the buggy box that's been sitting in the closet for years.  I know my
apartment network could last an afternoon without its switch, so I'll
have to remember this in the future (even a kind soul or two with
Linux-powered Ethernet bridge boxes would be good)

We pretty much had no problems, except for the 1 hub I did bring (I also brought a few switches, but I ran out) so hopefully next time I'll have a 8+ port switch availible, I'm planning on buying 1 or more.  If anybody knows of any, 10/100 availible, for cheap, let me know.

2.  I overheard Munir mention something about "SSH in a box" (or
something similar) -- apparently a way to SSH from most any computer.
Anyway, I've been looking for something like that.  Does such a thing
really exist, or was I just imagining things? ;-)

I think I once heard about this- putty I think was used.  (Not sure if on a Windoze box or not)

3.  Late in the day, it sounded like someone had the (mis)fortune to be
using a Serial ATA controller with some real SATA drives.  I was under
the impression that Linux would be able to talk to most any SATA
controllers (I thought I heard that they generally look like ordinary
IDE controllers, but maybe I'm mistaken).  Did that person have any luck
getting their system working?

No he did not, because of the SATA drive.  I had (basically) a system just as new- but no SATA drives.  I disabled it.  THE nForce2 CHIPSET WORKS.  BTW, this is the first email composed on my fresh-install of Red Hat 9.0.  I love it!

The installfest was a blast!

Joke from the end for those who had to leave earlier-
(This was at 7 PM, when the Jima, I and a few others FINALLY got out of there)
I said:
First installfest, get Linux running.  DONE
Second installfest, get all games running.
Now, what's the next thing?
Jima: You forgot take over the world!

So my system'll work as a mirror for next time, as by then, I'll probably be over 1/2 a terrabyte.  Maybe not, but I'll probably be closer than now (only 60GB away...)

Keith Bachman
(The guy who had a never-ending supply of 'stuff' in his car, and the BIG blue case that some people got disk envy over)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Did ya hear? They took the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   word gullible out of the

This is not about Napster or DVDs. It's about your Freedom.
http://www.anti-dmca.org